Some large size PDF documents, often CAD drawings, or posters, have excessive white space around the actual image. This occurs when the PDFs were created on a page size that was larger than the actual document. Printing of these PDF files can be problematic as the printer also prints the unwanted white space. PDF Cropper offers these features:
- Optionally keep some white space around the image '
- Optionally crop to a standard page size (currently DIN-sizes)
- Note that it does not crop the white space from raster images
- Crop on the trimbox (if defined in the PDF)
- Drag and drop
This tool is based on iTextSharp and needs GhostScript to find the extents of the imaged area.
Feb 2022. After complaints that PDF crop does not crop layered PDF's, I created this Version for layered PDF's This version also writes the cropped file using its original name and keeps the original file as a backup with "_orig" in its name. Please note that I disabled a couple of less used functions in the list above.
Also frequently asked is a Command-line Version
Install & UseGhostScript and .NET must be available. Unzip the .EXE file from the downloaded ZIP-archive; place it in a folder and create a shortcut to the executable. Click "Configure" to tell where the GhostScript binaries are (typically C:\Program Files\GS\GS9.xx\bin).
A French user has translated an early version of PDF Cropper in French.
PDF Search and Extract is meant to extract pages from a PDF. It offers these features:
- Search for a specified string and extract pages that contain that string
- Enter regular expresions (RegEx) for advanced text searching
- Extract pages by page numbers (various options: pagenumber, even, odd, range)
- High speed text search. It takes less than a minute to search and extract pages from the Adobe PDF Reference (~ 1000 pages)
- Handles Greek (and probably other languages)
- Make a copy of the input file, omitting the pages containing the search text ("NOT" function)
Install & UseTo "install": unzip the files from the downloaded ZIP-archive; place them in a folder and create a shortcut to the PdfSearchExtract executable.
This tool uses the iTextSharp library (integrated in the tool). The program also uses "pdftotext" from the Xpdf toolbox (www.foolabs.com) to extract plain text from the input PDF. The needed file is included in the ZIP-archive, but please check the foolabs site for the latest updates. .NET must be available on the PC.
Experimenting with iTextSharp from Bruno Lowagie and Paulo Soares, as an exercise I created this simple tool for the most basic imposition needs.
Install & UseUnzip the EXE from the ZIP-archive to a folder on your computer and create a shortcut to it. This application requires that .NET is installed.
To run click on its icon or shortcut). Select the PDF with the button, or drag and drop the file to the form. Select what you want to do - prepare for 2-up printing - prepare for booklet printing or place two equal copies side by side. Then press "Action".
Here [external site] is a "how to" description.
PDF Tiler is meant to print large size (single page!) documents, like drawings and posters, on a small size printer. It offers these features:
- Automatically tile a PDF on multiple pages ("tiles")
- Automatically find the most economic orientation of "tiles"
- Optionally create an overview sheet with tile numbers, helpful for assembling
- Optionally place marks
- Optionally number tiles
- Drag and drop
- A single executable file - no setup needed
Install & Use
To "install": unzip the .EXE file from the downloaded ZIP-archive; place it in a folder and create a shortcut to the executable. This tool uses the iTextSharp library.Note that .NET must be available on the PC.
PDF Rotate & More
Here's another PDF tool, made with iTextSharp. The latest version offers these frequently needed features:
- Rotate PDF (steps of 90 degrees)
- Scale with a certain percentage (up or down)
- Scale to fit in a standard paper size
- Scale to fit in a certain width or height
Frequently asked too: Command-line Version
Install & Use
Again, .NET, available on Microsoft's site, is required, but you very probably already have that. To install the tool: unzip the .EXE file from the downloaded ZIP-archive; place it in a folder and create a shortcut to the executable.